Customised test system for hydraulic pulse testing of pressure sensors
Serman & Tipsmark has built a system for Sensata Technologies Holland BV in close cooperation with Moog Test Systems. The system is used to test pressure sensors, which can be pulsed hydraulically with different and even ‘contaminated’ media.
Sensata is an American listed company with branches around the world, including in the Netherlands, where the test system was supplied. Sensata’s branch in the Netherlands mainly develops and tests sensors for the automotive industry. Here, new systems from Serman & Tipsmark are used to pulse-test pressure sensors for common rail diesel engines.
The test system’s structure and function
The system consists of an HPU, a hydraulic service manifold and two test benches.
The HPU supplies hydraulic flow and pressure.
Through a hydraulic service manifold and a servo valve, this system operates two hydraulic actuators (one in each test bench). The system always runs with clean oil of the same type.
The two actuators are fixed on separate pressure heads. Various media can be supplied to the pressure heads via a small tank, for example contaminated media. Each test bench can operate with its own pressure and frequency, allowing for independent tests in the two benches. However, they have a joint hydraulic supply from the HPU and the hydraulic service manifold.
This means that, with this system, Sensata can test pressure sensors that are mounted in a manifold and pulsed hydraulically with different and – if required – ‘contaminated’ media. The pulses range up to 300 bar and the frequency up to 30 Hz. The sensors are placed in a climatic test cabinet to enable control of the ambient temperature.
• The system offers Sensata great flexibility, as it has two test benches with a joint hydraulic supply, making it possible to run two simultaneous tests with completely different media, pressures and frequencies
• The Moog software is extremely flexible, making it possible to test the exact scenario needed
• The circuits for the different media (contaminated if required) are very small and it is easy to change media
• The large circuit uses normal hydraulic oil and does not come into contact with the various, potentially contaminated media being tested. This ensures a long lifetime for all important and expensive components
• Testing can be done at high pressure and high frequency, which makes the tests both fast and valid
Serman & Tipsmark has extensive experience with test systems for industry. We know that quality assurance is important in most industrial productions and that documented testing of products is usually a requirement.
More information about our test systems here.
Please do not hesitate to contact Serman & Tipsmark for further information here.